After purchasing my Raspberry Pi microcomputers, (thanks MicroCenter!) assembling the Dog Bone Case took less time than I expected.
I set up Raspbian OS on one computer and copied the image to my laptop so I could image new nodes quickly. There are enough guides on how to set them up online that I won’t bother doing a step-by-step guide.
Basically the setup was:
- Install OS & update.
- Change default password.
- Set timezone, keyboard, etc…
- Set LAN IP statically.
- Set hostname and make hosts file.
- Generate SSH keys.
- Install software:
- sudo apt-get install mpich2 mpich python-mpi4py -y
- Mount NFS share on boot.
- Remove unneeded software:
- sudo apt-get update
- sudo apt-get purge libreoffice-impress libreoffice-draw libreoffice-math -y
- sudo apt-get purge wolfram-engine penguinspuzzle scratch dillo squeak-vm squeak-plugins-scratch sonic-pi idle idle3 netsurf-gtk netsurf-common python-pygame -y
- sudo rm -R /home/pi/python_games
- sudo apt-get autoremove -y
- sudo apt-get clean
- Disable X Server.
I picked up a SainSmart relay to control the cluster. I have a powered USB hub to power the Pis and I use the relay to supply or cut power to the hub. This way it’s easy to power on the stack remotely (via SSH.)